Hazardous Material spills, regardless in size, can impact Sumter County.
If a hazardous material spill occurs, a Shelter In Place order maybe given. When this occurs you should:
- Always listen to the instructions of authorities including evacuation orders.
- Bring your family and pets inside
- Lock doors, close windows, air vents and fireplace dampers
- Turn off fans, air conditioning and forced air heating systems
- Take your emergency supply kit unless you have reason to believe it has been contaminated
- Go into an interior room with few windows, if possible
- Seal all windows, doors and air vents with 2-4 mil. thick plastic sheeting and duct tape. Consider measuring and cutting the sheeting in advance to save time
- Cut the plastic sheeting several inches wider than the openings and label each sheet
- Duct tape plastic at corners first and then tape down all edges
- Be prepared to improvise and use what you have on hand to seal gaps so that you create a barrier between yourself and any contamination