Mobile Home Requirements - Class A & B
CLASS A MOBILE HOMES
Class A mobile homes shall satisfy each of the following criteria at set-up and thereafter:
1. The model year of the home shall not be more than five (5) years prior to the year of permitting.
2. The minimum factory constructed width of the main body of the home, as located on the site, must be a minimum of twenty (20) feet as measured across the narrowest portion. (This is not intended to prohibit minor offsetting of portions of the home to the satisfaction of the Building Official.)
3. The home shall have a permanent and continuous perimeter underfloor enclosure of masonry or other durable construction, unpierced, except for required ventilation and access to the satisfaction of the Building Official. The Building Official will predetermine and establish general approval for specified types, varieties, or designs of foundations or perimeter enclosures. Such pre-approved foundations or perimeter enclosure types shall be designed to maintain acceptable appearance with proper maintenance. Upon determination that any such design fails to maintain acceptable appearance, the Building Official shall remove it from the approved list.
4. The home must be covered with an exterior material(s) customarily used on site-built dwellings in the county to the satisfaction of the Building Official. The exterior covering material shall extend to the ground except that, when a solid concrete or masonry perimeter foundation or enclosure is used, the exterior covering material need not extend below the top of the foundation.
5. The minimum pitch of the home’s main roof shall not be less than one (1) foot of rise for each four (4) feet of horizontal run (3:12 pitch) or greater if required by the roofing materials used. Roofing materials must consist of shingles or other material customarily used on site-built dwellings in the county to the satisfaction of the Building Official. The roof overhang must not be less than six (6) inches measured horizontally from the vertical side of the home except where carports, garages, porches, or similar structures are attached at initial set-up of the home.
6. After placement upon an approved foundation, all wheels, axles, tongues, transporting lights, and removable towing apparatus shall be removed from the home before occupancy.
7. All additions, alterations, attachments, etc. to Class A mobile homes shall be constructed with materials that are comparable in composition, appearance, and durability to what is generally acceptable and commonly used for site-built homes in the county.
CLASS B MOBILE HOMES
Class B mobile homes shall satisfy each of the following criteria as specified:
The model year of the home shall be 1981 or later except that pre-1981 models are allowed if presently titled as mobile homes as assessed as real property in Sumter County.
The home shall have a permanent perimeter underfloor enclosure of masonry, wood, vinyl, or other material constructed to provide at least 50% opacity and shall be continuous except for required ventilation and access, to satisfaction of the Florida Building Code 2014.
Mobile homes whose model year is earlier than fifteen (15) years prior to permitting shall be subject to a pre-permit inspection.
Prior to being moved to the property for which permitting is sought, the home shall be inspected and certified for soundness and habitable living conditions based on the
“Guidelines for Repair and Remodeling of Used Mobile/Manufactured Homes” specified in Chapter 320.8232 and 320.822 F.S. and in Chapter 15C-2.0081, F.A.C. Such inspections and certification shall be preformed by a mobile home dealer licensed in Florida, engineer, architect, residential, building, or general contractor certified or registered by Florida, building inspector certified by Florida, or the Building Official.
Any repairs that are required to meet the requirements for certification must be made, and the certification received, prior to being moved onto the parcel for which permitting is sought.
Permitting under this section does not waive any other construction, classifications, or set up requirements.